Monday, November 12, 2012

Thank Ye Veterans

As cynical as I can be, I do always like to take a moment out of Veterans' Day to think about those people in my life who've served. There've been a few, namely both my grandfathers. Other relatives as well, but no one especially close to me. Until I met Bethany Carpenter. She was one of my roommates freshman year of college and remains one of my best friends. She went through ROTC and commissioned shortly after graduation as an officer in the United States Air Force with final marks in the top 10 perfect of all officers commissioning in the country that year. As someone with very little in the way of patriotism or political inclinations, it surprised even me when I cried like a baby during the ceremony. It finally occurred to me then how insanely proud of her I am.


So far she's been stationed in Texas for training and Japan for the last year. We've managed to keep in touch throughout then through various means, even watching the finale of our favorite show, Castle, via Skype.


In not too long, Bethany will be deploying to Afghanistan.

I can't think of anything coherent to say about it. Such a mix of emotions are involved... I don't even know what to say. But Bethany is my veteran. I remain intensely proud of her and thankful that people like her exist. So much so that it robs me of words. 


No comments:

Post a Comment